Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The other stuff...

Since I've written alot about my work in the hospital, I thought I'd better tell you that's not all I do in Zimbabwe...

  I spend my evenings and weekends off cooking, surfing the internet, watching movies, and reading.  I think I've read about 15 books since coming to Zimbabwe.  All for fun (with the exception of scanning our surgery textbooks.)

  One of the long-term missionaries taught us to play a card game,"Nines," which has entertained us many an evening.  I've also enjoyed several movies here, most recently "The King's Speech," "The Adjustment Bureau," and "I am Number Four."  Sadly our movie projector bulb died a couple weeks ago, so our movie parties are a bit less exciting these days.  We watch in clusters of 2 or 3 people instead of all together.

Cooking is a necessity here, but I also find that it is cathartic for me.  Especially when I get to share it.  So I have to share a couple more cooking pictures.  (I also shared the actual food!)

This pizza was delicious and huge about 18 inches in diameter.  I made the crust from scratch and Alice made the sauce.  If medicine doesn't work our, I think we may open a Zimbabwe pizza parlor. :)

   In my entire life, I've baked 2 apple pies, both in Africa, so I suppose for me the saying goes: "As African as apple pie."
This gentleman had no idea how thirsty his shirt made me.

 This is one of our wall spiders who became confused and thought this egg was a new kind of rounded wall.  I buy eggs from one of the nurses at the hospital.  He raises chickens and apparently they are very healthy, because they lay super big eggs.
I went out and sat among the plumeria blossoms that I enjoy so much.  I'm going to really miss the plumeria when I leave Zimbabwe.

  I will be returning to Wichita when I come back to the U.S.A.  Looking forward to being roommates with one of the residents who I knew from med school.  I have applied for a job, but no official word yet.  So please be praying for those details.
 
 

3 comments:

Dee Ann said...

Loving the Mountain Dew shirt...it made me laugh a lot. :)

Bekah Boo said...

love all these photos... love you so much.

Kathy Dvorak said...

Hey, I've been wondering about plumeria! I got a bath and body set as a teacher thank-you with that scent and I didn't know what plumeria was. Can't wait to see you soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!